Since the organic food boom in London I’ve always wondered why the farmers’ markets around the capital were so expensive. So when I went to my home town where I lived for 19 years, I took some pictures to show you that the original idea was and still is for peasants to sell their products straight to the consumers, therefore eliminating the cost of intermediates which increases the final price. Enjoy the colorful pictures! This is the Thursday farmer market in Nettuno near Rome. The market is made of stalls of fruits, vegetables, meat, cheese and also clothes. We usually go to buy fresh veg but also to spend an interesting morning browsing the peculiar stalls and enjoying the village life. It is used in my family to walk along the stalls eating fresh green olives or lupine seeds. Have a look!
- Stocking Up at Farmer’s Markets (frugalrecipes.wordpress.com)
- Do farmers have to pay the farmers market to sell their goods? (greenanswers.com)
- Editorial: County should not over-regulate farmers markets (darlenewolnik.com)
- Farmers Markets Just Make Sense (thrivefarm.wordpress.com)
- Farmers’ Market frenzy (blomquistfamilyadventures.wordpress.com)