Do you want to leave your guests speechless?
Why not try Grandma Lenas’s Parmigiana (Melanzane di nonna Lena)? TASTE AND MAKE YOUR GUESTS
Meal preparation time: 3 hours Cooking time: 15/20 minutes Total: 3 hours and 15/20 minutes Ingredients for 4 people: 4 or 5 aubergines, plain flour 700g to be on the safe side. 4/6 eggs, salt, 3/4 mozzarella balls, sunflower-seed oil, parmesan cheese, buy @ least 250g.
Sauce ingredients: 2 bottles of tomato passata, I recommend the organic Sainsbury passata, 1 medium size red onion, olive oil, 2 leaves of basil. Prepare the sauce before you start frying the aubergines. Sauce: Place some olive oil in a pot and add the finely chopped onion, keep it on fire until the onion goes golden, then add the tomato sauce. Stir and salt according to your taste and add some basil. Make it cook for at least 20 minutes @ low flame.
Peel the aubergines and cut them into regular slices (not too fine, nor too thick). Preserve them in salt for about 2 hours in order to remove the bitterness.
- Wash and dry them with a clean cloth.
- Put eggs in a bowl with a pinch of salt and beat them gently.
- Place some flour in a bowl and spread some sunflower-seed oil in a saucepan. Leave it over a high flame until it is hot.
- Flour the slices of aubergines, then put them in the egg mixture and fry them.
- Spread some tomato sauce in a pyrex and lay the first layer of fried aubergines. Add tomato sauce, mozzarella slices and parmesan.
- Repeat the procedure until the last layer of aubergines and cover it well with tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan. Cook it in the oven for about 15/20 minutes @180 degrees and switch it off when the mozzarella has melt and become golden brown.